Sunday, March 04, 2007

Feeding An Army

I feel sorry for chickens and lambs whenever my mum invites anyone for dinner. Almost everything cooked contains meat or chicken.... and yesterday was no different.....

.... Mum had invited some people for dinner last night, and on Friday night we got a call from some distant relatives, telling us that they're gonna come over on Saturday afternoon. I nearly had a heart attack when I found out. That's 9 people in the afternoon and 11 in the evening.

So i had to wake up early yesterday (grrrr... saturday's the only day I get to sleep in). I did all the usual; quick shower, got dressed, cleaned my room. When I went downstairs, mum was already messing around with the extra-large sized pots and pans. My job was to make the lasagna.

After about 2 hours of messing around with 3lb of mince meat, a tonne of tomatoes, flour, milk and a load of other things, everything was ready. Now only the layers were left.

I buttered the dish, and started with a thin layer of mince...then pasta....then white sauce... then lots and lots of cheese.. and so on. I finally finished with cheese and sprinkled some oragano on top (so that it smells nice!..heh).

I shoved it in the oven and then helped mum with boring things... like making the salad and the hundreds of varieties of chutnies.

So the first lot came... ate... sat for a bit and went... then we cleaned up...and cooked some more. Then the second lot came and did the same. When they left I was exhausted..... and because mum thinks a dishwasher is a waste of space, all the dishes had to be hand washed. :(

We finished around 11ish....

That's when I realised it was the eclipse. So I impatiently stared the moon for about half an hour... then got bored and went to bed. This morning I found out that if had stayed there for about 15 more minutes I would have seen the whole eclipse...with the moon going red! Double GRRRRR!



That's a pic of the moon I took at about 11.30ish. Half the moon's covered. It isn't a very good pic. (magnified 8 times and there was a lampost in the way!)

2 comments:

Traveller said...

haha..i can so relate to feeding armies. i finished at about 1am at times!

The Funky Photon said...

ouch!... It's soo horrible cleaning up after people!