Thursday, July 12, 2007

At the Crack of Dawn

Sunrise in my city (I didn't take the picture btw!)

I’m sleeping silently and all of a sudden an ear-wrecking noise awakens me. Confused at what it might be, it takes me a few seconds to realise it’s my alarm clock. Eyes closed, head underneath pillow, my hand reaches out to find the snooze button…. Tranquillity at last. Without any further thought I fall back into my dreamy sleep.

Moments later the alarm begins to scream again. This time I make the extra effort of turning off the damn thing.

Fajr already. Seems like I only went to bed a few minutes ago.

I lay on my back staring at the dark ceiling, persuading myself to get up. I remind myself that Aṣ-ṣalātu khayru min an-naūm, Aṣ-ṣalātu khayru min an-naūm - Salat is better than sleep, salat is better than sleep.

I turn my head towards the window. The dark sky is slowing filling up with light; Fajr is going to end soon. Under my breath I recite Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim- In the name of Allah, most gracious, most merciful, and then jump out of bed.

I make my way down the stairs, towards the bathroom, making as much noise as possible- Silent dawah's the best kind isn't it?! ;)

Back in my room, I face the Kiblah and begin my salat- Allah u Akbar- Allah is the greatest.

It's so peaceful at this time: no noise, no people, no cars......just silence. It feels like the world has disappeared, and I'm here, all alone, standing infront of my lord.

I could stay on the prayer mat forever, but sleep lures me back into bed. As I close me eyes, I get a feeling of satisfaction, and ease....Truly, Salat is better than sleep.

1 comment:

Traveller said...

dawn is the most peaceful time of day, innit. that feeling of serenity always reminds me that one of the best times to make du'aa is after fajr.